I swear to god every woman I know is either getting pregnant/engaged/married or breaking up with their boyfriend. Blame it on the blue moon or whatever but there has been a huge change in so many of my girlfriends’ lives. While the pregnancies/engagements are beautiful and full of happy sparkly feelings, the single ones are all caught in a whirlwind of angst and hilarity. Mostly hilarity.
Whenever I go through big changes in life I cling to albums, movies, tv shows. Anything that can make me laugh, force some introspection, and fuel my need for empowerment.
My most recent discovery is Girls. I straight up watched 5 episodes in a row last night. It’s like a hipster version of Sex and the City.
I also compile playlists that vary on how shitty or good I’d like to feel. They range from “self-loathing dark hole of life” to “I love everyone and everything and like to dance sometimes.”
Here are 3 examples –
Sara’s “Dark Hole of Life” playlist
1. I Just Don’t Think I’ll Ever Get Over You – Colin Hay
2. Your New Twin Sized Bed – Death Cab for Cutie
3. I Want You – Elvis Costello…check out this version though. Good ole crazy Fiona.
4. Anti-pioneer – Feist
5. Breathe – Sia (Four Tet Remix)
6. Simple Math – Manchester Orchestra
7. Mistaken for Strangers – The National
8. Come Pick Me Up – Ryan Adams
9. No One’s Gonna Love You – Band of Horses
10. Lies – The Black Keys
11. Salt in the Wound – Bo Koster (Delta Spirit)
12. When I’m Small – Phantogram
Sara’s “Love and Laugh and Be Happy” playlist
1. Big Girl – Dr. Dog… Actually this whole album Be the Void could be on this playlist.
2. Zebra – Beach House
3. Call Your Girlfriend – Robyn…such a great video.
4. Ghost Tonight – Chairlift
5. Meantime – GIVERS
6. Got to Have Rock n Roll – Heartless Bastards
7. Cheap and Cheerful – The Kills
8. I’m Good I’m Gone – Lykke Li
9. Rocks Off – The Rolling Stones
10. To Be Young – Ryan Adams
11. Take It Easy – Surfer Blood
12. Angela Surf City – The Walkmen
Sara’s “I Want to Punch a Baby in the Face” playlist
1. The Difference Between Us – The Dead Weather
2. My Name is Jonas – Weezer
3. Actor Out of Work – St. Vincent
4. Sinister Rouge – Bad Religion
5. I Don’t Want to See You Like This – The Joy Formidable
6. Fancy – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
7. Sometimes the Line Walks You – Murder By Death
8. Something Against You – The Pixies
9. 2+2=5 – Radiohead
10. Radio Milk How Can You Stand It – White Denim
11. Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground – The White Stripes
“I’m a lady. She’s a lady. You’re a lady. We’re the ladies.”
Enjoy the playlists ya’ll and I hope in whatever you’re going through in life at the moment you can find ways to cope and laugh at everything.